The festive season can be a difficult time for people for all sorts of reasons. Here are some tips from Mind in Brighton & Hove for taking care of yourself over Christmas and for getting through the winter months
Think about the little things you can do for yourself each day:
- Do the festive season your way – and take it one day at a time.
- Energy – save your energy for the things you really need to do and try not to get caught up in unnecessary things. Don’t feel pressured.
- Take time for you – spend time outside or snuggle up and watch a good movie.
- Plan ahead – make sure you organise what you need, food, medication and data on your phone etc.
- Shopping – try and shop online or go at quieter times if you can, homemade gifts and cards are a thoughtful way of showing you care.
- Food and mood – our food can have a big impact on our mood, so think about some meals that are delicious and healthy, warming soups are especially good at this time of year.
- Anxiety and stress – it’s normal to feel a bit more stressed than usual, but if things do get too much, make sure to take the time to talk about how you’re feeling.
- Physical health can impact how we feel, so don’t forget to make time to move – try marching on the spot for a few minutes or walking up and down the stairs for as long as you feel comfortable.
- Don’t compare yourself – TV and social media are full of happy festive images; these are not reality, so don’t compare yourself with them. And remember you are not the only one who is finding things difficult.
- Ask yourself – how can I be kind to myself right now?
If you are struggling with your mental health, you can find local sources of support on this website.